I owe so much of my initial farming experience & education from partaking in the WWOOF network (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms). For anyone who dreams of learning what it is like to live & work on a farm, this is one of the best ways to do it! Given that this is a global network of farms, you can choose a n y w h e r e, any time of year, a wide range of time frames (a few days - upwards of years) & the living arrangement that meets your needs. It's truly the perfect way to acquaint yourself with the wonderful world of growing food.
For all those out there with a farming & travel bug, I can't recommend enough to check out the wwoof links below. This not only is a great way to learn the ins & outs of sustainable farming but is a wonderful (& economical) way to travel and truly submerse yourself in a new place & culture.
For anyone looking for advice, personal insight, suggestions, etc. please do not hesitate to contact me! I have helped countless people over the years connect with their wwoof farm(s). I love to share this passion of mine with others!
Websites & Publications
The links below are GOLD. They are all invaluable resources for a plethora of information on sustainable farming. Embedded within each site are links to hundreds of other websites that answer all possible farming related questions one could ever imagine, ever.
- A New & Ancient Story by Charles Eisenstein*
- The Urban Farm Podcast*
- Farmer to Farmer
- Organic Gardener Podcast
- The Plant Report - Every Plant Has a Story
- The Ruminant
- Sustainable World Radio
*These two are by far my favorite.
- Agriculture // Rudolf Steiner
- Culture & Horticulture // Wolf D. Stohl
- Restoration Agriculture // Mark Shepard
- The Four Season Harvest // Elliot Coleman
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle // Barbara Kingsolver
- The Dirty Life // Kirsten Campbell
- The North American Biodynamic Calendar // Maria Thun
- Mycelium Running // Paul Stamets
- Seed To Seed: Seed Saving & Growing Techniques // Suzanne Ashworth
- One Straw Revolution // Masanobu Fukuoka